ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED:
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of the Omidyar Group, which represents the philanthropic, personal and professional interests of the Omidyar family.
The Office Manager (OM) will strive to facilitate organizational effectiveness and efficiency in HU’s San Francisco office. The OM will manage the day-to-day office operations, services, procedures, and resources. The OM will be a collaborative, adaptable, and engaged member of the Operations team, who will enjoy immersing in HU’s culture and mission. We are looking for someone with extraordinary customer service skills and considers cultivating general employee happiness as a key priority.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee office operations, procedures, and layouts, with the objective of optimizing in-office operational processes for efficiency, compliance with all office policies, and maintaining a safe, professional, clean, and well-stocked work and conference environment.
- Regularly assess office needs, including space-planning needs; develop new policies and procedures as needed/based on feedback; and oversee all office and kitchen supplier relationships.
- Manage day-to-day office operations including conference scheduling, mail and delivery handling, and emergency and routine maintenance.
- Ensure on a daily basis that office areas, including the kitchen and conference rooms, are prepared for heavy use by internal and external partners
- Take responsibility for issues related to office services and maintenance issues, including seeking executive input when appropriate; review and follow-up on work orders; and ensuring that all relevant parties are updated on the status of projects affecting the space.
- Proactively ensure that all areas are clean, tidy and in good repair at all times.
- Address employee queries regarding office management issues (e.g. conference room allocation and scheduling, stationery, hardware, and travel arrangements).
- Provide exemplary customer service support to a diverse group of visitors, including responding to visitor inquiries and accommodating visitor needs.
- Coordinate seamlessly with IT department to ensure effective audio and videoconferencing by conference room users, including acting as “first line of defense” in setting up audio and video conferences. Coordinate with IT on all office equipment maintenance, usage and purchases. Provide training and support when new IT equipment and/or processes are rolled out.
- Display great judgment on a daily basis. Provide thought leadership on various office aspects such as: how the space should be used and trends in usage. Focus on ensuring that projects are followed through to completion.
- Execute or delegate, as office manager with one direct report (receptionist), clerical and administrative tasks related to office-wide matters. Train the receptionist in all delegated tasks.
- Manage reception services to ensure professionalism and customer focused communications both internally and externally.
- Assist in onboarding of new hires, including organizing orientations and training schedules.
- Serve as the liaison for facility management vendors, including cleaning, catering, repairs, and security services.
- Ensures that office calls, emails, deliveries are all handled promptly and professionally.
- Oversight and management of the visitor calendar.
- Provide weekly status reports about the office space.
- Partner with HR to update and maintain office policies, as necessary.
- Plan and execute in-house and off-site staff meetings and activities, like parties, celebrations and conferences in coordination with HR.
- Manage conference room services, including requested support (ordering food, supplies, materials printing, room set-up, and AV connections).
- Bring positive energy to the work environment.
- Takes initiative in managing projects and daily task load.
- Coordinate space needs with various departments.
- Participate and assist with special projects and events on a regular basis.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
- A bachelor’s degree or Administrative Professional degree.
- 5+ years in reception and administrative work. Has been an Office Supervisor or Manager before.
- Confident, self-aware, self-starter. Able to maintain composure under pressure.
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and customer service orientation.
- Excellent skills in communication, problem assessment and analysis, problem solving, decision making, planning and organizing, time management, delegation of authority and responsibility, multi-tasking, prioritizing, and information gathering and monitoring.
- Flexible and adaptable to challenges and changes, used to pivoting approach at the last minute.
- Experience taking initiative while displaying a high level of integrity, adaptability, great attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Knowledge of clerical practices and procedures and human resources practices and procedures.
- Proficiency or willingness to become proficient with audio and video conferencing technology.
- Prior use and/or comfort working in a Mac environment
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS Outlook, in particular) and experience with office machines (e.g. fax machines and printers).
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.